Monday, May 13, 2013

Howdy from Nashville!

May 12, 2013
Dear Family and friends,
          It has been a couple of weeks since I have written.  Thanks for your patience.  Also, thank you to all of you who have written to us.  We appreciate your letters so much!   There has been a lot that has happened in the past couple of weeks. First of all we were able to attend the Mission Presidents Seminar in Orlando the first week of May.  It was so great to be able to see our friends that we made at the MTC and at the other seminars we have been to.
          Right after that, Roy, Debbie and Anna came out for a few days.  It was so good to see them.  They came the Sunday we arrived home and we took them to a fireside put on by the Nashville Tribute Band in Hopkinsville, Ky.  They have 3 CD’s recorded.  One is a tribute to the prophet Joseph Smith, one is a tribute to the Pioneers called “The Trek’ and the last one is a tribute to missionary work called “The Work”.  We have approved each of them for our missionaries to listen to, some because of the messages and some because of the culture in the music.  Roy seemed to love the fireside—in fact at one point I thought he might just walk up and start playing with them!  The Tribute Band also came to our Train the Trainer meeting in Nashville, we had last Thursday and just sang a few songs for the missionaries.  They have a great spirit about them and the messages in their songs are wonderful!
            It was sad to see Debbie and Roy leave but just a few days later Scott flew out  here and we were able to spend about a week with him.  He was a great help to me in driving me to my doctors appointments and physical therapy.  He would take me to appointments in the mornings, and then take me to zone conferences in the afternoon where I was able to acknowledge missionary birthdays and speak to the missionaries.  I really appreciated Scott for all of his help especially driving me places. 
            It was really hard to see Scott go home.  And a few days later he called with the news that he has been officially hired as a seminary teacher and has been given the assignment to teach in Boise next year.  Luckily Steven and Rachel are still living in our house so I guess they will take over living there for the next year!  Steven and Rachel are flying out for a week or so this coming Thursday and will be helpful in driving me to rehab appts, so we are anxiously awaiting their coming.  Steven is graduating with his masters degree on May 15 the day before they come.
      Angie and Kiara will be flying home on May 22 for Angie’s graduation onMay 22 in  Lehi , Utah and then will stay there for a couple of weeks.  They will come home in June and then Angie will leave for Fiji on July 22 for a couple of weeks.  She is still deciding  when she will do her mission.  She was accepted at BYU Hawaii and thinks she might do a semester of school before she turns in her missionary papers.
     Last night we went to Destini’s elementary school play “Annie”.  Destini played the part of Cecille, the maid.  She did such a cute job!  We were really proud of her.  Aubrey is rejoicing that this is her last full week of school.  She has done well in school out here and keeping up with everything she has going on.      Kiara also just made the FLAG TEAM for next year at Brentwood Middle School.  She worked really hard the weeks of tryouts and we are so proud of her.   
         Many of you may remember Reverend Alvin Travis (our minister friend)  whom the missionaries taught about a year ago.  He couldn’t get baptized because his girlfriend was not legally divorced.  It took him awhile to get it all worked out, but he is FINALLY getting baptized  this coming Saturday
    Things are going about the same for me.  I am still overly dizzy  to the point that I can’t walk straight and I  am still struggling with my vision, but most everything else is doing well.  I am supposed to get glasses from my Ophthamologist tomorrow.  And then tomorrow night the missionary choir is singing the “National Anthem” for the Sounds Baseball Game.  I am planning on leading them, so if I get someone to walk me to my place I will just pray that I can  stay standing  up during the whole National Anthem. 
  President McKee is working hard doing both of our jobs.  I  will be forever grateful to him for how he has supported me over the past 5 months especially.
TNM Miracles:
1.  The Winchester Miracle:
     6 months ago we placed two missionaries in this small town and assigned them to gather the less active for Family Home Evening and baptize preparing this city for a Branch. Two weeks ago we organized the Branch with 153 people attending. They are meeting in a funeral home. The funeral home director donated this location for free for them. He is not a member of the church but wanted to do something to help God. It is an ideal location and soon will become a ward. They have applied to Salt Lake already to build a chapel there. They held a Dogwood festival last week and ended up with 273 solid referrals so we have sent 8 missionaries down there just to teach all of the people. This has all happened so  quickly that no one can believe it. The Lords hand is in every detail
2.  On Saturday night we received a call from our Bishop telling us that on Wednesday, him and his daughter were eating at the local Sonic when they noticed a family of five that they thought would be great in our ward. They went up and introduced themselves and gave them his number. On Saturday night during the stake conference session our bishop received a phone call from Tony, asking if they can still come to church!!! Tony called again Sundaymorning to double check! The family is great! We sat behind them during the broadcast”

3,  “Synthia got baptized on Saturday! It was wonderful. She came from a Pinnocostal church and has always "felt" the spirit quite differently. We were a little bit nervous about how she would act during her baptism and confirmation but she sat really still and tears just streamed down her face. She asked if everyone felt that burning and we explained, again, that it was the Holy Ghost. Then after her confirmation she wouldnt let anyone hug her because she didnt want them to take that feeling away from her. It was so cute! She felt the spirit so strong and i think she finally figured out what it is all about.” 
quickly that no one can believe it. The Lords hand is in every detail.
We love this mission.  We have testimonies of its truthfulnesss.  We love working with the missionaries and we rejoice in our Savior and in His Atonement.  We know that through Him all things and people are made whole and we are so grateful for His help in our behalf every day.  The Book of Mormon is a marvelous book.  Read it again and again.
Loads of love,
President & Sister McKee, Dad & Mom, Grandpa & Grandma, Bill and RaNae
Angie, Aubrey, Kiara and Destini.


  1. Happy Mothers Day to you Sis McKee. It warms my heart to read your blog and know that you are such a great mission mom to all your missionaries. Their lives will always be blessed from knowing you.

  2. RaNae, I see that Angie will be graduating from somewhere here in Lehi on the 22nd of May. If she needs a place to stay we have two empty bedrooms that we would love to share with her! Where is she graduating from? Just send me an e-mail if she can stay with us! Seriously, we would love to have the company!

    Love you guys,
    Tammie Healey

  3. RaNae, we just want you to know that we've been following your blog and praying for your continued recovery. You are doing such marvelous work in the Tennessee Nashville Mission! Your family's lives are such an inspiration to us! Wanted you to know that Elder Haleck has been reassigned as second counselor in the Pacific Area Presidency. We will report there on July 15th. We want you to know how much y'all have enriched our lives and how much we love you.

    Vince and Peggy